Sunday, October 17, 2010

Whole Wheat and Oat Peach Cobbler

It's been a while since the last post, we traveled around for the summer and didn't do much cooking. In August I started my PhD program and Zac started his MFA. However, though we haven't been posting, we have been cooking some great, homemade, healthy recipes and will begin again to share them. I'll start with a great one we made last month. Peach Cobbler! I got the foundation for this recipe from www.peachcobbler.org/healthy-peach-cobbler-recipe.html However it was a little t00 organic-y for me. I don't have all those organic and soy ingredients so I modified for my very average cupboard, switched butter for applesauce, cut down on the massive ammounts of honey, and added some oats to boot! Here is what I came up with. It was super good!

Whole Wheat and Oat Peach Cobbler

Ingredients

6 c of sliced fresh or frozen peaches
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 1/2 c whole wheat flour
1/2 c and 1 tbsp. of quick or traditional oats
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1 tbsp baking powder
1 c skim milk
1/4 c unsweetend applesauce
2 egg whites
1/2 c honey
1 tsp vanilla extract

Directions

Preheat oven to 375. Place sliced peaches in the bottom of a greased (pam prefferred) 9" x 13" glass or meatal pan. Pour/spread lemon juice evenly over peaches. In a small/medium bowl, combine dry ingredients (except for the extra tbsp of oats) and mix together well. In a larger bowl, combine wet ingredients and whisk. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir thoroughly. Spread this mixture over the peaches in the pan evenly. Sprinkle on the last tbsp of oats for a pretty look. Bake at 375 for 35-40 minutes.

Notes

We enjoy this with Bryers 1/2 fat vanilla ice cream and it's AMAZING!

No comments:

Post a Comment